Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Importance of an Hour and a Half

It’s all about me and it’s all about being able to get in that Dance class, I get an hour and half to just focus on me and what I love todo … Dance. In my life I am constantly running from job to job; first and most importantly I am a dancer. I am a company member in Synthesis Dance Project, I teach at a studio in Maplewood NJ one night aweek, I own a studio in Princeton, NJ where I spend four to five nights a week, and I own a dance competition that tours 13 weekends out of the year. It feels like I never have a moment to catch my breath. In class I can not only catch my breath, but I can find it and use it to inspire movement.

My home away from home is Broadway Dance Center. I have been a student at Broadway Dance Center for the past ten years. I used to run up and down the stairs from class to class at the old studios. Now I love the sleek, clean and modern feel to the new studios. When you walk into the lobby of the studio on the 3rd floor I am greeted by some of the happiest people on earth. I have watched as the staff helps customer after customer navigate the class sch

edule and their levels. They always bring a smile to my face no matter what kind of a day I’m having.

You can usually find me in one of Tracie Stanfield’s classes or a ballet class. Class is where I can fine tune my technique, build strength and endurance, and just focus on myself. My favorite part of class are the people in it. I love to look around and be inspired by the talent and the work ethic in the class.

This past week my inspiration was a guy who took Tracie Stanfield’s Adv Beg Jazz Class. He seemed like your average guy dressed in cargo shorts and a hat. He was really friendly and smiling at all of the dancers. Most of the classes at BDC have a choreographed warm-up so the hardest part of a new class is the warm-up. So if you can make it thru the warm-up you’re in good shape. He didn’t seem to have a problem with the warm up; just the usual looking around to make sure he was doing the correct stretch on the correct foot etc. We went across the floor with leaps and again he was trying hard. I thought maybe he was a hip hop dancer who wasn’t used to leaping. On Friday it comes time for the combination and Fridays pace is the fastest because we usually have been working on the combo from

Tuesday and Thursday. After Tracie teaches the first 32 counts she asks if there are any questions or if anyone is lost. Well now the guy just starts laughing. It turns out he is a Motor Cross racer and his chiropractor told him he should get into dance because it will help with his balance, strength and flexibility. Apparently he thought he was taking a basic dance class. I was amazed that he hung in the class for that long. He tried everything and never once stopped and questioned himself or Tracie. It is amazing to me that he rides motor bikes and

flips a 200lb bike upside down and all over the course, but he thought dancing was hard.

This week I needed that kind of inspiration. I was getting down on myself because I felt like dancing was getting harder and part of me feels like when you ‘ve been doing it for so long it should get easier. But dance is hard and the constant challenge it provides is what makes me love it. Dance can never be conquered, it is a moving art form where perfection doesn’t exist. (even though sometimes I think it does). My quest to continue to grow is what keeps me dancing. Finding the time to go to class is what keeps me sane, it lets me focus on me, be inspired by others and share my passion. Who would have ever thought an hour and a half could be so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment